My Hero?

I've been fascinated recently by Americas new found hero, JetBlue's flight attendant Steven Slater. In my mind it was very clear what this guy did was arrogant and selfish. First, airplanes full of people tend to be tense and unpredictable. In the world we live in today this sort of behavior is irresponsible. Second, this isn't different from any other disgruntled worker who blows up at work, does something stupid, and leaves. But to my surprise, as I watched the news reports, people across America and the world are praising Steven as an American Hero. The more I listened to the reports the more I realized that this should not be surprising to me at all. This is simply the fallen world we live in.

2 Timothy 3:1-5 "But understand this, that in the last days there will come times of difficulty. For people will be lovers of self, lovers of money, proud, arrogant, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, heartless, unappeasable, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not loving good, treacherous, reckless, swollen with conceit, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, having the appearance of godliness, but denying its power. Avoid such people."

This list is full of characteristics that could be used to describe Mr. Slater's actions. These people who Paul says to avoid are the people we are attracted to. The list is endless of movie stars and athletes who Paul has just painted. These are the people we praise. The truth is the person who Paul describes is me. The truth is the person who Paul describes is each of us. We are all unholy lovers of self. There is nothing different between Steven and me.

Spurgeon says, "Carnal men, unrenewed men, have one nature--a nature which they inherited from their parents, and which, through the ancient transgression of Adam, is evil, only evil, and that continually. Mere human nature, such as is common to every man, has in it many excellent traits, judging of it between man and man. A merely natural man may be honest, upright, kind, and generous, he may have noble and generous thoughts, and may attain unto a true and manly speech; but when we come to matters of true religion, spiritual matters that concern God and eternity, the natural man can do nothing. The carnal mind, whose ever mind it may be, is fallen, and is at enmity to God, does not know the things of God, nor can it ever know them."

But praise be to God that he shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. My response should not have been shock but to pray for the lost to be drawn by God to Himself and be reminded of where He has brought me from. I have my Steven Slater days but find confidence in 1 Peter 1 that God will persevere me to the end. In the midst of my fleshly nature I can put aside the "passions of my former ignorance" and pursue holiness as He is holy. Not in my own abilities but by His blood that ransomed me "from the futile ways inherited from my forefathers."

No comments:

Post a Comment